What would you say “pure in heart” means? Most people would probably say the pure in heart are absolutely free from sin, but actually it means something more, because all throughout the beatitudes, sin is addressed right from the start.
Look at the order of the beatitudes and how sin is actually addressed!
- The poor in spirit die to self through brokenness, humility, and dependence upon God. The sin of selfish pride is torn down as we acknowledge our need for God.
- Those who mourn align their hearts with God and grieve over sin. Personal sin, the sin of other believers, and the sin within society breaks our heart; we want nothing to do with sin.
- The meek surrender their strength to God. The conviction of the Holy Spirit keeps us from saying the wrong thing or turning to look the wrong direction. We choose to submit to the Holy Spirit and live for Christ instead of our sinful desires.
- Those who hunger and thirst for righteousness have been declared righteous by God, and the power of the Holy Spirit is at work within our life equipping and empowering us to live in victory over sin, as we hunger and thirst for more of Christ, who is our righteousness.
- The merciful realize how much mercy has been given to them, so, they are merciful and forgiving to others. They demonstrate the unconditional love of God. Love has become our motive for everything we do. Love for God keeps us from returning to a life of sin.
So you see, being “pure in heart” must mean more than just being clean or unstained by sin. Does pure mean perfect?
If it does we are in trouble! Who among us has a perfect heart?
“Pure” is translated from the Greek word “Katharos” means “GENUINE, meaning it’s opposite to being false.”
The pure in heart are genuine, authentic, and real. They are not a counterfeit or a hypocrite. The pure in heart have no impurity, mixture, or division within their hearts.
Dear Heavenly Father!
Create in me a pure heart, and, Renew a loyal spirit within me, (Psalm 51:10).
In His Shadow,
~ Mary Lindow ©
Duplication and sharing of this writing is welcomed as long as complete message and website information for Mary Lindow is included. Thank You!
Mary Lindow has a passion for encouraging others – all generations, careers or vocations to live expressing excellence through personal integrity, healthy accountability, and wise management of talents and skills. She’s a sought after keynote, inspirational, humorous speaker and teacher across the USA and internationally in Ministers & Spiritual leaders Conferences, and training seminars for various organizations.