The American Declaration of Independence, when it referred to “the laws of Nature, and of nature’s God“ – insisted that, all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator, with certain unalienable rights.”
The document ended with those signing it, “appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude (the quality of being honest and morally correct) in their intentions… and… with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence.” WOW!
- No other nation has “In God We Trust” on her currency.
- No other nation has its legislative bodies opened in prayer by a personal chaplain.
- No other nation has a National Day of Thanksgiving set aside to express her gratitude to God for His goodness. Our prosperity and our progress have not been due to simple luck, but to a Sovereign Lord.
- The pundits who go around screaming about the separation of church and state have no idea what they are talking about. Our forefathers believed in the separation of church and state, but they did not believe in the separation of God and government. They believed government should not organize and control religion, but they recognized religion’s importance to operating good government.
- George Washington began his first inaugural with a prayer asking the blessings of “that Almighty Being, who rules over the universe, who presides in the councils of nations…” Later on he added that in “tendering this homage to the great Author of every public and private good,” he was certain and expressed the sentiments of Congress, as well as his own, for, “no people can be bound to acknowledge and adore the invisible hand which conducts the affairs of men more than the people of the United States.” In his eyes America was no secular state, and there was no separation of God and government.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower said, “Without God there could be no American form of government, nor an American way of life. Recognition of the Supreme Being is the first – the most basic – expression of Americanism.”
- The conclusion of the whole matter was aptly given by Daniel Webster who said, “…more than all, a government and a country were to commence, with the very first foundations laid under the Divine light of the Christian religion… who would wish that this country’s existence had otherwise begun? Let us not forget the religious character of our origin.”
Deny it if you try, but it cannot be denied. The secret of America’s greatness has always been her faith in Almighty God. Modern America wants to deny our Christian history. Some are attempting to rewrite the history books. In spite of their efforts, the documented evidence still stands.
America was founded as, “one nation, under God, with liberty and justice for all.”
What can we do?
- We can pray for our nation and our leaders – 1 Timothy 2:1-2.
- We can participate in the process by voting for believers and praying that God will raise up godly men and women who will run for public office.
- We can be thankful for the freedoms we still enjoy and use them for His glory.
- We can stand for what is right even if it costs us everything.
In His Shadow,
~ Mary Lindow ©
Duplication and sharing of this writing is welcomed as long as complete message and website information for Mary Lindow is included. Thank You!
” THE MESSENGER ” ~ Mary Lindow
Mary Lindow has a passion for encouraging others – all generations, careers or vocations to live expressing excellence through personal integrity, healthy accountability, and wise management of talents and skills. She’s a sought after keynote, inspirational, humorous speaker and teacher across the USA and internationally in Ministers & Spiritual leaders Conferences, and training seminars for various organizations.