Let me ask you a simple question: Are there things you know you need to do, but you have been putting them off?
If so, what is the one task that would change your life the most if you got it done?
Most of us have things that we know we need to do, but for some reason we procrastinate.
Putting things off is very common and I, too, fall into this behavior. But when we develop a lifestyle of procrastinating, it can hinder us from fulfilling our destiny and calling from God.
Stuck in the SPIN Cycle?
In my book, “Personal Development God’s Way“, I have identified The SPIN Cycle that people get into. SPIN is an acronym for: Stuck in the past, Procrastinating, Internal negative thinking and No clear vision.
After coaching thousands of people, I have found that although all of these behaviors are harmful, procrastination is what keeps us in a negative spin instead of breaking through to something new in our lives.
Procrastination is deadly when it becomes a lifestyle. When we procrastinate, we start to believe the lie that putting something important off will bring us a greater reward than doing it. Like anything, we simply need to develop some new healthy habits. And habits only take a short time to establish but we need to become intentional and consistent.
Most people might think the root of procrastination is laziness, but it is actually much more complicated. We all procrastinate for different reasons and to break this self-defeating habit you will need to identify yours — and develop a plan to change.
Let’s look at some of the most common reasons we procrastinate:
- You are a perfectionist and you tend to make even simple things complicated.
- You’re facing a task that is going to be unpleasant, boring or difficult. You simply don’t want to do it because it’s not fun.
- The task feels overwhelming or it is plain too difficult.
- You secretly resent having to do the task. You feel as if you need a “reward” for doing it.
- You’re a person who needs structure and you haven’t created a routine for yourself that provides the structure.
- You are afraid of failing — or maybe you are afraid of succeeding.
- You don’t have a “big picture” — a driving goal, therefore you don’t feel motivated.
- You have too much to do and you simply don’t have energy for non-motivating tasks.
What is the root cause for you?
Write it down now so you will not put off creating a recovery plan.
The first step is to identify why you do what you do. After that there are a few simple things you can do to break through instead of breaking down.
Align with God’s principles
- Believe: It was people’s unbelief that hindered Jesus from doing miracles. Believe that you can change.
- There are no limits: God is limitless so what you can do through His love and power has no limits as well.
- Be resourceful: You have everything you need to succeed. God has gifted you with the Holy Spirit and you have access to it all.
Now I invite you to do what I do everyday. I ask myself this question:
“What is the one thing that I could do today that would make the biggest impact?”
Then do one small step towards it. You don’t have to do the entire task all at once.
Now do that next step first thing before you forget. Or schedule it if you have the discipline to follow through.
When you develop a lifestyle of doing small positive things regularly, they actually add up and allow you to get further ahead in a short time.
I realize that this will take practice and it helps to have accountability. But you can do it and make 2016 your best year ever!
~ Doug Addison
P.S. Want to overcome procrastination this weekend and get coached by me on how to accelerate your life this year? Join me in my first online workshop of 2016 this Saturday where I’ll be coaching you live! We’ll do several powerful activation exercises together and create a prophetic roadmap so you can gain clarity on where to focus on this year in light of what God is doing. Pre-register now for the “Accelerate Into Your New Year” webinar to save your seat and I’ll send you the recording and all my teaching notes afterwards!)
|Doug Addison is a prominent conference speaker captivating audiences with clean stand-up comedy and high energy prophetic messages which he has shared on television, radio and the internet for over a decade. Doug brings laughter, fun and a unique prophetic style while empowering people to transform their lives, discover their destiny and understand dreams, tattoos and piercings. His powerful messages stay with his audiences long after hearing him.