It’s Time to Share Your Story
— Get Ready to Write!
There is power in the words of your story and testimony — Revelation 12:11.
If God has done anything in your life, or spoken to you, then you might have a story that needs to be shared.
For years, I had every reason not to pursue my destiny as a writer. I did terribly in my English and speech classes in high school. I had learning disabilities and struggled a lot with communication and grammar, let alone the thought of writing a book.
I had a spiritual experience in 2002 at 5:00 a.m., in which I heard the audible voice of an angel say, “Doug Addison, get up and write.”
I got up, and over the next 2 weeks in the early hours before work, I wrote the outline for a book.
Then I spent the next 2 years feeling guilty about avoiding writing the rest of the manuscript.
I had a lot of good reasons to avoid finishing it:
- I am not a writer.
- I do not have time.
- What if people do not like it?
- What if I fail in front of the entire world?
God had given me a message during those early morning hours in 2002. I was more comfortable sharing it in smaller groups or in sermons and workshops. Then God spoke to me that I needed to get this message out to the world — as it was going to change many people.
“Then the LORD replied: ‘Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it.’” Habakkuk 2:2 NIV.
I Am Glad I Broke Through!
In 2005, I finally got that first book published. I was one of the forerunners of the prophetic evangelism movement and the book I wrote truly did help many people. Now I write every day and have published a great many books, training material, blogs and online courses.
If you think it is any easier to have an angel or the Lord give you a message to write — it is not. After that encounter, I was not given the divine impartation to be a writer.
Most people who get an encounter actually have more coming against them than those who do not have an encounter. There is a lot of spiritual warfare that can come against you and it is still hard work.
Remember that Noah got the revelation from God on how to build the ark, but he still had to swing the hammer and endure the ridicule of the people.
Get Ready for More!
God is releasing so much new revelation from Heaven right now. Over the next year, there is going to be a lot of new — or potential — books coming out and being written. This is the time to get your story out there; position yourself for the future, to capture the new flow coming for books.
With the Internet and the ease of self-publishing, there has never been an opportunity like we have right now. This is an amazing, divine alignment that has happened. I believe it was designed by God to get new revelation and stories out to a hurting world, like never before.
Here Are Few Tips to Help You (That I Learned the Hard Way):
- Give up on perfect. Let go of the idea of writing perfectly the first time. Just sit down at your computer and let it flow, as messy as it might seem. Do not worry about grammar and structure — as you can have an editor help fix all of that later.
- Start with a summary first. Start by writing a draft of what your book will be about, who the target audience is, etc. Then write a page or so with a bunch of thoughts about what you want to say. Doing this helped me to clarify who I was speaking to, and what I was trying to communicate.
- Take your summary and create a simple outline. The hardest part is to give up what we were taught in school or by professional writers in the past — this is not a formal book report and there are no rules.
- Do not be discouraged by the size of your document. Go back through and add more over the next few weeks. Add personal stories, research and new things God shows you. It was amazing to me, that each pass-through seemed to trigger new ideas for my book. The key was not dwelling on it too long, and to keep moving.
With the use of new technology and the help of others, it is not all that difficult to get your story out to the world. The best thing I can recommend to you is — just do it!
~ Doug Addison
P.S. Do you feel called to write a book but don’t know where to start? I’ve put everything I’ve learned and everything you need to write your book in this self-guided online course: Write Your Book Now!
If reading a book is more your style, you’ll love my fully update book, Write a Book Quickly. It includes 2 new chapters on writing fiction and how to publish on Kindle. Get your copy here.
Doug Addison is a prominent conference speaker captivating audiences with clean stand-up comedy and high energy prophetic messages, also shared on TV, radio and the Internet for over a decade. He brings laughter, fun and a unique prophetic style while empowering people to transform their lives, discover their destiny and understand dreams, tattoos and piercings. His powerful messages stay with his audiences long after hearing him.