- And he left them, and entering into the ship again departed to the other side.
- Now the disciples had forgotten to take bread, neither had they in the ship with them more than one loaf.
- And he charged them, saying, Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, and of the leaven of Herod.
- And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is because we have no bread.
- And when Jesus knew it, he saith unto them, Why reason ye, because ye have no bread? perceive ye not yet, neither understand? have ye your heart yet hardened?
- Having eyes, see ye not? and having ears, hear ye not? and do ye not remember?
- When I brake the five loaves among five thousand, how many baskets full of fragments took ye up? They say unto him, Twelve.
- And when the seven among four thousand, how many baskets full of fragments took ye up? And they said, Seven.
- And he said unto them, How is it that ye do not understand?Mark 8:13-21 (KJV).
Are you pressed today, are the circumstances overwhelming? Jesus’ disciples already felt pressed because they had forgotten to take bread to eat, and their minds were already filled with thoughts of ‘what to do about it?’
They were frustrated and afraid. And when Jesus made his statement about being careful of the leaven of the Pharisees, and of the leaven of Herod, they automatically thought it was because they forgot to take bread. THEY BEGAN TO REASON IN THEIR MINDS.
The problem was they were already thinking in the natural, the way any man would think. They were not thinking spiritually at all. Jesus and the disciples were on opposite sides of the spectrum. Jesus had just finished feeding the four thousand with seven loaves and a few small fishes. Where was their faith? It was as if ‘POOF! – IT WAS GONE.’ Jesus asked them all kinds of questions about what they had just witnessed. How is it they did not understand? He was trying to pull them back into focus.
If you are pressed today, perhaps your faith has evaporated and fear has taken hold. As a natural man we have been brought up and instructed all our lives to do things a certain way in the flesh. Then Jesus comes along, and tries to teach us how to walk in the Spirit, and you have trouble getting passed mindsets, the natural I mean, because it’s what you’ve always done………and this Jesus and His way of doing things makes you uncomfortable and sometimes asks too much of you.
It is a challenge alright, and if we would relax and rest in faith in Jesus and what He has obtained for us, life would be so much easier. Oh, I know I am speaking to someone today.
Pull back to Jesus beloved, take a deep breath………… you may not think you have time because you are so busy right now………. it’s time to remember what He has done for you.
Just sit down in a nearby chair with your bible and open it, and let God speak to you and help you get on track. Talk to Him about what’s going on, and let Him handle it. He loves you, and that is more important than any other thing we could do.
“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid,”John 14:27.
~ Celeste Dewey