2 Words in 1
Choosing a Path
“Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein,”Jeremiah 6:16 (KJV).
This verse is a favorite, and reveals to me over and over again that my God does not change. His word is tried and true, and His very words are powerful to bring about change.
What are the old paths? Old here pertains to the eternal, to eternity. Ancient time, of old time, the beginning of the world without end. He wants us to abide in these ways, His ways, to open our eyes to behold and understand, for His ways are not our ways.
We need to ask for His perspective, for His ways are higher than ours. He says this is the good way and here we should walk. Beloved we need to stay with the tried and true word of God…. keep abiding in Him, no matter what may come, and then….. you will find rest…. and peace…. for your souls.
1 John 2:3-7 says, “And hereby we do KNOW that we KNOW Him, if we keep His commandments. He that saith, I KNOW Him, and keepeth not His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in Him. But whoso keepeth His word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby KNOW we that we are in Him. He that saith he ABIDETH in Him ought himself also so to walk, even as He walked. Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an OLD commandment which ye had from the beginning. The OLD commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.”
I hear this song in my spirit this morning , ‘When peace like a river attendeth my way, When sorrows like sea billows roll; Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, IT IS WELL, IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL.’
Due and Appropriate Sacrifices
There is no need to give the offering of of bullocks, rams, and lambs, the blood and the fat….. and incense….. for this form of sacrifice has been done away with, for Christ has given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling savour (Ephesians 5:2). Sacrifice today is not to be found acceptable to the Lord because we have been made acceptable through Jesus. It should be a response of love to the sacrifice He made for us on the cross, so lets offer:
- a sacrifice of peace (1 Kings 8:63)
- a sacrifice of obedience (1 Samuel 15:22)
- a sacrifice of delight to do His will (Psalm 40:6-8)
- a sacrifice of a broken and contrite spirit, of righteousness (Psalm 51:17)
- a sacrifice of praise for His goodness (Psalm 54:6)
- a sacrifice of thanksgiving and declaration of His works, with rejoicing (Psalm 107:22; Amos 4:5)
- a sacrifice of the lifting up of my hands (Psalm 141:2)
- a sacrifice of prayer for it is His delight (Proverbs 15:8)
- a sacrifice of justice and judgement (Proverbs 21:3)
- a sacrifice of praise with the voice of joy and gladness (Jeremiah 33:11)
- a sacrifice of mercy and the knowledge of God (Hosea 6:6)
- to present your bodies a living sacrifice as holy (Romans 12:1)
- a sacrifice of offering or gift (Philippians 4:18)
- a sacrifice of praise (Hebrews 13:15)
Beloved these sacrifices to the Lord, are things that are not so easy to lay your will to, because they must come from the heart. They come from the depths of your being and must in all conscience be lived every moment of your day…. that’s why they are a sacrifice.
Make it your aim to keep your eyes firmly fixed upon the one who forever showers you with blessings, seeking to please Him always by walking in love with Him….. and watch the YOU He created you to be, emerge and blossom in beauty….. because, then….. you will be…… more like Him.
~ Celeste Dewey