So many seemingly spiritual Kingdom seekers have accused pastors and leadership of quenching and grieving My Spirit in order to get on with their programs, and yes, it is so, but no where near to the extent the accusers are doing.
I gave this instruction to every believer, yet it has been taken out of context to mean only leaders in My body.
Look at the context of what quenches My Holy Spirit;
“Brethren, admonish (warn and seriously advise) those who are out of line, the loafers, the disorderly, and the unruly; encourage the timid and fainthearted, help and give your support to the weak souls, and be very patient with everybody. See that none render evil for evil unto any man ; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men. Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. Quench not the Spirit,” 1 Thessalonians 5:14-19.
This is what quenches My Spirit:
- When you enable, by not correcting, lazy people, those that live loose lives, and are disrespectful, because they are a lousy testimony, to unbelievers.
- When you ignore and do not encourage the shy and timid to speak up and let Me use them in their gifts.
- When you become impatient and write off the weak ones that often fail.
- By you getting even with anyone who has hurt you.
- By you being in a negative mood.
- By you going about your business and forgetting to talk to Me all day, everyday.
- By you complaining and being ungrateful. Any of these seven things will quench, stop My Spirit from moving in the lives of the people I am trying to reach with My love.
Now look at the context of grieving My Spirit; Let no corrupt communication proceed out of (not the leaders mouth) but your mouth, I want only that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister My grace unto the hearers. 30 Grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby you are sealed unto the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: 32 And you be kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as Father for My sake hath forgiven you,” Ephesians 4:29-32.
Now look closely at what really grieves My Holy Spirit:
- When you talk trash about any member of the body. This is also talking trash about My Spirit that dwells and is diligently working inside them, this really grieves Him. Holy Spirit has already seen fit to eternally seal their redemption and you have the nerve to grieve Him, by talking negative about them.
- When you hang on to bitterness, anger, gossip, evil speaking of any kind or retain malice. The bottom line is very heavy on this one, because I forgave you of all these things, and My Spirit is so grieved over your unforgiveness that My Father has vowed He will not forgive you of any of your sins until you forgive!
So please before you accuse anyone of quenching or grieving My Holy Spirit, make sure you are clean on all 9 of these points, if not its most likely it’s you that is the hindrance, because you are definitely walking outside My Father’s love.
~ Jim Hammerle
|Jim Hammerle began ministry working with David Wilkerson and Nicky Cruz, founding Teen Challenge Philadelphia. 6 times in the mission field pastoring a mission ship, 15 years with TV and radio, teaching, and preaching, a retired businessman, Jim now helps to feed widows and orphans in Uganda, helping Muslims find the Jesus who feeds them. He’s become His banker and is privileged to give His money away, wherever He decides, so he’s also helping to build an orphanage in Haiti and investing in lives in the USA. Totally in love with his LORD, at age 73 he served in ministry at Victory Christian Church and lives every hour listening for his Heavenly Father’s voice.|