RENOUNCING THE WATCHTOWER
Dear heavenly Father, I come in the name of Jesus Christ to thank you for convicting me of this false teaching. Forgive me for believing lies; I receive your forgiveness through the blood of Jesus. Now empower me as make renunciation of a false religion.
I renounce the false teaching that only one person, namely Mr. [Charles Taze] Russell, can interpret the Bible, and I renounce every interpretation made by him.
I renounce the doctrines that:
- Jesus Christ is not part of the Trinity.
- God created Jesus first.
- Michael, the archangel, is the only begotten Son of God.
- Michael, born from Mary, is the firstborn Son of God.
- the Holy Spirit is not a person but an active force used by God to ensure that His will be done.
- the concept of the Trinity comes from Satan.
I renounce the teachings of Judge [Joseph Franklin] Rutherford that:
- there is no hell.
- man consists onlyof a soul (ignoring 1 Thessalonians 5.23).
- when I die, the soul becomes inactive and dead and thus can’t go to hell—I don’t exist anymore.
- at the resurrection there will be a second chance.
I renounce Jehovah’s Witnesses teachings that:
- Jesus is a god but not God, and the denial of His perfect mediatorship .
- Jesus’s life was not laid down for sin or judgement but to give me a second chance (trial of life).
- it was not necessary that Jesus shed His blood for sin.
- His suffering and death on the cross is irrelevant, while the fact that He was totally destroyed as a human being remains relevant.
I renounce the teachings that:
- only 144,000 believers will experience the blessing of heaven while the rest of the believers will have eternal life on earth if they prove themselves loyal through good works, faith, and loyal service.
- man did not lose heaven because of sin but only paradise on earth.
I renounce the teaching that God’s judgement will last for a thousand years and is meant only as a period of probation the living.
I renounce the interpretation that Christ came in 1874, ascended to heaven in 1914, and that we now live in the thousand years of peace.
I renounce the policy that as a new Watchtower member I must become a worker. I lay down this yoke of slavery in the name of Jesus.
I renounce the belief that only the Jehovah’s Witnesses are correct and that all other churches are as Babylon—under the control of Satan.
I renounce the curse, expressed by [Charles Taze] Russell, that if I read the Bible and disregard the Studies in the Scriptures, I will be in darkness within two years.
I sever myself from every teaching of Russell and break every curse over my spirit, soul (mind, will, and emotions) and body.
I admit that Jehovah’s Witnesses use the Scriptures out of context and distort them to their own destruction.
By the authority I have in Jesus’s name, I bind the spirit of witchcraft, the spirit of antichrist, and the spirit of lies, and command everything in the household of these strongmen to loose me now. Every devil under these strongmen will leave now. I refuse and reject you! Leave now. (Progress once you feel a breakthrough.) Now, strongmen of witchcraft, antichrist, and lies, I cut your cords and command you to leave and never return to me again.
In the name of Jesus Christ, my Lord:
I confess you are God as well as the only way to the Father.
I confess you physically (bodily) were resurrected from the grave, and I renounce the lie that your body dissolved into gasses or is kept in a monument.
I confess there will be a day on which every person will stand before God to be judged.
I confess that:
- Jesus became a curse to free me from the law of sin and death.
- no one can go to the Father unless he accepts Jesus as Savior.
I confess that I need to be born again to obtain eternal life.
I confess that Jesus paid the full price on the cross for my:
- Transgressions—with His blood
- Sickness—by His stripes I am healed
- Iniquity—He was bruised for mine.
I confess that God the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit are one, although they function as separate personalities.
I confess I have eternal life and am saved by grace, through faith and not by works—it is the gift of God.
I confess that:
- there is a heaven and a hell, and that God will create a new earth and new Jerusalem for the righteous.
- the unrighteous that reject Christ shall suffer in hell forever.
Heavenly Father, cleanse my (conscious, subconscious, and unconscious) mind from all lies. I receive fresh revelation from the Spirit that will lead me into truth.
Cleanse my spirit, soul, and body from any and all defilement. Thank you for your Word and for the blood of Jesus! Amen and Amen.*
*Adapted from Kanan Bedieninge, Prayers of Renunciation (Cape Town South Africa)