The spirit of Absalom brings chaos, unprecedented delay and confusion.
The Biblical account of Absalom can be found 2 Samuel 14-18. It’s pretty intense.
Absalom is an impostor. People who possess the Absalom spirit are typically frustrated with the status of their life and of their perceived level in life.
They frequently imagine they deserve more recognition than what their achievements merit. This can cause vendettas to be erected against individuals that visibly harness the favor of God, individuals of influence, as well as individuals that do not recognize them or honor them the way they perceive is just.
As a tactic of warfare, the spirit of Absalom will deceive the individual that it is operating within into embarrassing themselves by trying to accepting (or stealing) assignments that they are not anointed for.
“While alive, Absalom had erected for himself a pillar in the Valley of the King, “because,” he said, “I have no son to carry on my name.” He inscribed the pillar with his own name. To this day it is called “The Absalom Memorial.”” 2 Samuel 18:18 MSG.
Individuals that are possessed with this spirit of Absalom will stoop to unimaginable lows to be seen as one that should be honored. Below are just a few characteristics of this spirit:
- They are always offended with leadership, openly and behind closed doors. Especially concerning in areas that they have no control over.
- The spirit has the ability to camouflage bitterness, unresolved offenses, disappointments, and anger. Anger and hatred are friends with this spirit. Only those with strong discernment are usually able to see through the camouflage. If you are the one that discerns their true motive of the spirit, you will become their next target.
- The facade of love, gratitude, and kindness are the weapons of this spirit.
- This spirit thrives on hidden agendas, well planned strategies, and secret alliances. The web of deceit is extremely vast. Do not underestimate the reach of this spirit and what individuals that have been deceived by it.
- This spirit master of flattery. The flattery is not authentic, it just throws off the scent of their true motive.
- The spirit LOVES division.
- This spirit is extremely critical. They will identify everything that does not measure to their tainted standard. This spirit will align with others that may share concerns and that are too immature to handle their concerns in a manner pleasing to God. Complaints, snickering, subliminal messages, taunting, mocking rare ingredients of the food that is feed to the followers of this spirit.
- This spirit thrives on the immaturity and insecurity of others. This spirit is a gathering spirit. It can’t survive without followers.
- This spirit believes that it can do your job better than you. It will use unmerited accusations to drain the individuals that are sent to attack.
“Also, whenever anyone approached him to bow down before him, Absalom would reach out his hand, take hold of him and kiss him,” 2 Samuel 15:5 NIV.
- The spirit find faults in leaders that are not related to spiritual qualifications such as what kind of car the pastor drives, the color of the pastor’s hair, etc.
- The spirit makes people feel special. For example, If the spirit is after Joe, an evangelist at the church, then the spirit will try to woo everyone around Joe in an attempt to isolate him.
- This spirit sets traps silently. They cause mischief in the background so that their cover will not be blown.
- When exposed, the spirit will demonize the leadership, the church, and anyone that opposes them.
- The individual operating in this spirit delights in the downfall of the people they are against.
- This spirit “steals the hearts” of the people by listening to the complaints of the people.
- This spirit loves to be flattered, but the flattery will never be enough. Those who have blinded and seduced by the spirit’s camouflage will feed into it and then be frustrated because it’s never satisfied. FAULT WILL ALWAYS BE FOUND.
- This spirit is sneaky, but when exposed, the spirit will act in cowardice. The true nature of the demonic influence will be seen.
The Absalom strategy of the enemy is brilliant. By the time the culprit, the damage has already been done.
Usually, this spirit has won the hearts of the people through manipulation, people are emotionally attached to them through relationships.
In the biblical account, Absalom was lovable and popular, even David loved him!
When exposing the spirit, it will appear unloving or unjust, especially to those the spirit has blinded.
The ONLY way to deal with the spirit is to cut him off. David was forced to cut Absalom for the survival of the kingdom.
Those who operate in an Absalom spirit will leave a church out of rebellion, but want to stay in fellowship. That is a form of deceit and flattery.
Because of the spirit’s manipulation, the leader or the object of their offense will look crazy to the people. Remember the rapport that the spirit built?
Yep. It was all apart of the plan. You may hear comments like:
“I thought y’all were close?”
“They were so nice!”
“When did this happen?”
Churches with prophetic and apostolic focus are easy targets for the spirit of Absalom.
If you a leader, a member of the 5 fold, or even an entrepreneur, remember you cannot pacify an unrepentant person who carries this Absalom spirit.
- Let The LORD expose, vindicate and restore. Leave vengeance to The LORD.
“Now Absalom happened to meet David’s men. He was riding his mule, and as the mule went under the thick branches of a large oak, Absalom’s hair got caught in the tree. He was left hanging in midair, while the mule he was riding kept on going.
Joab said, “I’m not going to wait like this for you.” So he took three javelins in his hand and plunged them into Absalom’s heart while Absalom was still alive in the oak tree.”2 Samuel 18:9, 14 NIV.
- Pray for those that were deceived by the spirit.
- Pray for the target of Absalom’s tactics. Often times, the weight of warfare that is placed upon the target of Absalom can cause depression, isolation, and burnout.
- The spirit’s goal is to divide, but God gives the increase. Dear Pastor, DO NOT SUCCUMB.
- Prayer for relationships to not be severed. The damage of Absalom can potentially tear apart close friendships and destroy churches. Be willing to apologize, take accountability, listen, then put protocols in place for the future.
Don’t be discouraged or intimidated. God can and will restore everything the spirit of Absalom tore down in one moment.
Be strong in The LORD and fight the good fight of faith!
~ Dee Evans
Dr. Dee Evans is the founder of Dee Evans Ministries International and Koinonia Training and Consulting. She currently mentors ministers and leaders throughout the USA, Africa, and Pakistan. With a passion for training prophets and leaders for the 21st century church. Her ministry emphasizes the importance of worship, prayer, intercession, and deliverance. Chesapeake, VA.